Rangers takeaways from Monday’s 2-1 OT win over Maple Leafs, including Artemi Panarin’s GWG in wild finish

Panarin celebrates OT goal in Toronto with Zibanejad behind him

Panarin celebrates OT goal in Toronto with Zibanejad behind him

The Rangers won a wild one in Toronto on Monday, beating the Maple Leafs, 2-1, in overtime.

Here are the takeaways…

1. Toronto held onto the puck for the first minute of overtime before Auston Matthews broke away, but missed wide. Jacob Trouba returned with a shot in the crease that was saved by Jack Campbell. Igor Shesterkin then made a stop on a rush by William Nylander. Shesterkin soon after stopped back-to-back shots by Matthews. About 30 seconds later, Shesterkin came way out of the crease to dump the puck, but it was stopped by Matthews at the blue line, who ripped another shot toward the net. Shesterkin, 20 feet out of the crease, somehow made a save.

Mika Zibanejad and K’Andre Miller then went on a 2-on-1, but Zibanejad’s shot was saved and the puck was frozen. Zibanejad then won the impending faceoff, and gave it off to Artemi Panarin, who wristed a shot that found the net and gave the Rangers a 2-1 win after one of the wildest overtimes you’ll see.

2. After allowing three power play goals on opening night, the Rangers killed both Maple Leafs power plays in the first period. With just over six minutes to go in the period, Zibanejad double doinked the post and crossbar, but replay showed the puck crossed the line, giving the Rangers a 1-0 lead. Shesterkin stopped all 12 shots he saw in the first.

3. The Leafs attacked the Rangers’ zone early in the second, and at the 1:36 mark, Michael Bunting tied the game at one. The Rangers went on the power play shortly after, but had just one shot on goal. In fact, that was their only shot on goal for the first 13 minutes of the period. The Leafs outshot the Rangers, 17-2, in the second period – Shesterkin made 28 saves through two periods.

4. In the third, New York continued to struggle getting pucks on net. Chris Kreider drew a penalty with 8:14 to go in regulation, giving the Rangers their third power play of the night. Gerard Gallant called a timeout to talk things over, but the Rangers had just one shot on goal (two of them were blocked). The Rangers controlled the puck in Toronto’s zone in the final minute and attacked Campbell, but to no avail. Toronto had one more chance in the closing seconds, but the Rangers were able to clear the puck and send the game into overtime.

5. Shesterkin finished with 40 saves – it was the eighth time he stopped at least 40 shots in his career.

6. The Rangers won just 13 of the game’s 54 faceoffs – thankfully, they won the last one.

7. The Rangers once again kept up their physical play, outhitting Toronto 33-19. Barclay Goodrow led the way with five hits, while Ryan Reaves and Miller each had four.


What’s next

The Rangers will travel to Nashville to take on the Predators on Thursday at 8 p.m.

Leave a Reply