Minecraft Forge is one of the simplest ways to mod your little world of diamonds and Endermen (Endermans?). It’s designed to be simple, and is the go-to place for almost any Minecraft modding needs. Unfortunately, this doesn’t actually work with all versions of the game. Minecraft Forge only works with Java Edition, so it won’t work if you’ve got the Windows 10 Bedrock Edition. If you’re looking to get Minecraft for the mods, then make sure you pick up the good ol’ Java version.
While Minecraft Forge is an excellent resource for mods, PC Gamer is an excellent resource for guides (smooth segue, no?). We’ve got tips on how to tame and breed horses, how to make a Soul Campfire, how to respawn Anchors, how to get Ancient Debris, how to get blackstone, and plenty more besides. Here though, we’ll take you through all the steps to access and use Minecraft Forge for all your modding needs.
As modding goes, it’s very simple, and Minecraft has such a huge community that you’ll find practically every question you could possibly have about Minecraft Forge has already been asked and answered. Now, without much further ado, let’s forge ahead.
How to install Minecraft Forge
- First, head to Minecraftforge and download the program.
- Make sure that you download the version of Forge that corresponds to the version of Minecraft you have (if Minecraft is 1.1, download the 1.1 version of Forge).
- Go to the downloaded file (it should be at ‘C:\Users\\[username]\AppData\Roaming\\.minecraft\mods’) and open.
- Select ‘Install Client’ then hit ‘OK’.
- Open Minecraft and change the profile to ‘forge’.
- Once the game loads, you’ll see a new ‘Mods’ menu on the start screen.
- Click this and choose which mods to use.
That’s it. Now you know how to install Minecraft Forge, and from there it’s just a simple matter of finding the Minecraft mods you like and installing them. There are more blocky guides where that comes from, so here’s how to build a house in Minecraft. Now you’ve got a home for all your handy mods, and for yourself.