An astonishing collapse from Svitolina, who hasn’t won a point in the last two games and is 3-0 down in the second set. She’s hit nine unforced errors in the first three games of this set, compared with only three in the entire first set (Zarazoa by contrast hit 18 in the first set, and has hit one so far in this).
Zarazoa breaks in the first game of the second set! This could get really interesting now, if the Mexican’s focus can last. Meanwhile play is getting under way on the outside courts, with several of the lower-ranked seeds in action including John Isner and Yulia Putintseva.
The Zarazua comeback was sadly shortlived. Svitolina holds to love and then breaks to 15 to seal the first set 6-3. There was a really good crosscourt return winner in there, absolutely smashed to the Mexican’s right, landing six inches from the line, and all in all an absolute nightmare to deal with.
Now she’s broken back! It’s as if a weight has been lifted since the threat of the dreaded double-bagel was seen off. There’s a fabulous down-the-line return winner on her way to the break, and suddenly Svitolina is involved in a game rather than a procession. It’s 2-4 in the first.
Zarazua is on the board! She holds to 15 and it’s 1-4 in the first set, Svitolina muttering angrily to herself as she heads to her seat.
The aim is for play to start half an hour late, so 10 minutes from now, AKA 10.30am BST, on the outside courts.
Svitolina isn’t hanging around against Zarazua, and has just broken for a second time to go 3-0 up in the first set. The Mexican is playing with a smile on her face, though, and has landed one rather excellent lob.
We have quite a tasty day ahead of us (weather permitting), scheduled to feature Serena, Rafa, Thiem, Halep, and the first Mexican woman to win a match at a Grand Slam for two decades (“I think I’m living a dream here,” said Renata Zarazua after her win; she plays Elina Svitolina first on Chatrier at which point the dream might start to fade a bit).
Here’s today’s order of play. There has been some persistent drizzle in Paris this morning, so the roof is on Chatrier and there will be delayed start on the outside courts, but the forecast is for a dry daytime (before rain overnight, and for much of the next few days). I haven’t held back, it’s all here. There are no boy’s or girl’s events, so they’re all men’s or women’s singles or doubles, though I’ll leave you to work out which is which. Just stop reading if you’ve read enough doubles schedules.
Court Philippe Chatrier
(3) Elina Svitolina (Ukr) v Renata Zarazua (Mex)
Tsvetana Pironkova (Bul) v (6) Serena Williams (USA)
MacKenzie McDonald (USA) v (2) Rafael Nadal (Spa)
(6) Alexander Zverev (Ger) v Pierre-Hugues Herbert (Fra)
Court Suzanne Lenglen
(16) Stan Wawrinka (Swi) v Dominik Koepfer (Ger)
Jack Sock (USA) v (3) Dominic Thiem (Aut)
(1) Simona Halep (Rom) v Irina-Camelia Begu (Rom)
Caroline Garcia (Fra) v Aliaksandra Sasnovich (Blr)
Court Simonne Mathieu
(10) Victoria Azarenka (Blr) v Anna Karolina Schmiedlova (Svk)
Lorenzo Giustino (Ita) v (12) Diego Sebastian Schwartzman (Arg)
(23) Benoit Paire (Fra) v Federico Coria (Arg)
Cori Gauff (USA) v Martina Trevisan (Ita)
Henri Kontinen (Fin) & Jan-Lennard Struff (Ger) v (5) Ivan Dodig (Cro) & Peter Polansky (Can), Marcelo Arevalo (Sp) & Jonny O’Mara (GB) v Gianluca Mager (It) & Albert Ramos-Vinolas (Sp), Amandine Hesse (Fr) & Harmony Tan (Fr) v Kateryna Kozlova (Ukr) & Magda Linette (Pol)
(15) Lyudmyla Kichenok (Ukr) & Nadiia Kichenok (Ukr) v Varvara Gracheva (Rus) & Jasmine Paolini (Ita), Marie Bouzkova (Cze) & Arantxa Rus (Ned) v Ana Bogdan (Rom) & Rebecca Peterson (Swe), Steve Johnson (USA) & Sam Querrey (USA) v (2) Marcel Granollers (Spa) & Horacio Zeballos (Arg), (1) Juan Sebastian Cabal (Col) & Robert Farah (Col) v Corentin Denolly (Fra) & Kyrian Jacquet (Fra)
Nina Stojanovic (Ser) & Jil Belen Teichmann (Swi) v Leylah Annie Fernandez (Can) & Diane Parry (Fra), (5) Gabriela Dabrowski (Can) & Jelena Ostapenko (Lat) v Zarina Diyas (Kaz) & Anastasia Rodionova (Aus), Mikhail Kukushkin (Kaz) v Pedro Martinez Portero (Spa), Ricardas Berankis (Lit) & Yoshihito Nishioka (Jpn) v Aljaz Bedene (Slo) & Dennis Novak (Aut), (16) Austin Krajicek (USA) & Franko Skugor (Cro) v Soon Woo Kwon (Kor) & Divij Sharan (Ind)
Hugo Gaston (Fra) v Yoshihito Nishioka (Jpn), Nao Hibino (Jpn) & Makoto Ninomiya (Jpn) v (6) Kveta Peschke (Cze) & Demi Schuurs (Ned), Misaki Doi (Jpn) & Monica Niculescu (Rom) v Irina Bara (Rom) & Fanny Stollar (Hun), Hugo Gaston (Fra) & Ugo Humbert (Fra) v Pablo Cuevas (Uru) & Feliciano Lopez (Spa), Arthur Cazaux (Fra) & Harold Mayot (Fra) v (4) Lukasz Kubot (Pol) & Marcelo Melo (Bra)
Sebastian Korda (USA) v (21) John Isner (USA), Su-Wei Hsieh (Tpe) v Iga Swiatek (Pol), Kaia Kanepi (Est) v (16) Elise Mertens (Bel), Greet Minnen (Bel) & Alison Van Uytvanck (Bel) v Lara Arruabarrena (Spa) & Heather Watson (Gbr), Asia Muhammad (USA) & Jessica Pegula (USA) v Vera Lapko (Blr) & Dayana Yastremska (Ukr)
Radu Albot (Mol) v (27) Taylor Harry Fritz (USA), Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (Rus) v Katerina Siniakova (Cze), Kamilla Rakhimova (Rus) v (20) Maria Sakkari (Gre), Radu Albot (Mol) & Nikoloz Basilashvili (Geo) v Leonardo Mayer (Arg) & Guido Pella (Arg), Luke Bambridge (Gbr) & Ben McLachlan (Jpn) v (9) Wesley Koolhof (Ned) & Nikola Mektic (Cro)
(13) Viktoria Kuzmova (Svk) & Kristyna Pliskova (Cze) v Laura Ioana Paar (Rom) & Julia Wachaczyk (Ger), Andreea Mitu (Rom) & Patricia Maria Tig (Rom) v Madison Brengle (USA) & Yana Sizikova (Rus), Alexander Bublik (Kaz) v Lorenzo Sonego (Ita), (3) Rajeev Ram (USA) & Joe Salisbury (Gbr) v Gregoire Barrere (Fra) & Quentin Halys (Fra), Alison Riske (USA) & Ajla Tomljanovic (Aus) v Sorana Cirstea (Rom) & Sara Sorribes Tormo (Spa)
Nadia Podoroska (Arg) v (23) Yulia Putintseva (Kaz), Norbert Gombos (Svk) v Jurij Rodionov (Aut), Paula Badosa Gibert (Spa) & Elena Rybakina (Kaz) v (9) Sofia Kenin (USA) & Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA), (8) Veronika Kudermetova (Rus) & Shuai Zhang (Chn) v Anna Blinkova (Rus) & Christina McHale (USA), Marcus Daniell (Nzl) & Philipp Oswald (Aut) v (7) Mate Pavic (Cro) & Bruno Soares (Bra)
(32) Barbora Zahlavova Strycova (Cze) v Barbora Krejcikova (Cze), Nikola Cacic (Ser) & Dusan Lajovic (Ser) v Alex De Minaur (Aus) & Matt Reid (Aus), Juan Ignacio Londero (Arg) v Marco Cecchinato (Ita), Robert Lindstedt (Swe) & Jordan Thompson (Aus) v Robin Haase (Ned) & Joao Sousa (Por), Daniel Evans (Gbr) & Hubert Hurkacz (Pol) v Marcelo Demoliner (Bra) & Matwe Middelkoop (Ned)
Astra Sharma (Aus) v (27) Ekaterina Alexandrova (Rus), Daria Gavrilova (Aus) v Eugenie Bouchard (Can), (28) Casper Ruud (Nor) v Tommy Paul (USA), (12) Laura Siegemund (Ger) & Vera Zvonareva (Rus) v Alize Cornet (Fra) & Pauline Parmentier (Fra), Manuel Guinard (Fra) & Arthur Rinderknech (Fra) v Dominic Inglot (Gbr) & Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi (Pak)
Sara Errani (Ita) v (5) Kiki Bertens (Ned), Bernarda Pera (USA) v (25) Amanda Anisimova (USA), Kei Nishikori (Jpn) v Stefano Travaglia (Ita), Benjamin Bonzi (Fra) v Jannik Sinner (Ita)