Confusion over Murray’s Wimbledon farewell after ATP tweet saying he is out

Andy Murray’s participation at Wimbledon is shrouded in confusion following his back surgery on Saturday after a tweet by the ATP, the men’s professional tour’s governing body, said the Scot would not be fit enough to take part.

The ATP tweeted on Sunday lunchtime that the Scot had been ruled out of Wimbledon after the procedure on a spinal cyst.

However, Murray’s management agency then said no decision has yet been made on whether the Scot will take part and a final call on his participation may not be made until later in the week.

The ATP tweeted at lunchtime on Sunday: “After an operation on a spinal cyst, Andy Murray is sadly out of Wimbledon. Rest up and recover Andy, we’ll miss seeing you there.” The tweet was subsequently deleted.

The 37-year-old is hoping to make a farewell appearance at SW19 this summer but went under the knife on Saturday.

Murray withdrew from his second-round match against Jordan Thompson at Queen’s Club on Wednesday after struggling from significant back pain during the match.

The Guardian