Heartbroken mum of student killed by laughing gas calls on ministers to make it class A drug

A HEARTBROKEN mum of a student killed by laughing gas has called on ministers to make it a class A drug.

Sharon Cook, 54, lost 24-year-old daughter Ellen after she became hooked on the party drug.

Ellen, a business student from Gerrards Cross, Bucks, became gravely ill in February last year and died in hospital the following day

1

Ellen, a business student from Gerrards Cross, Bucks, became gravely ill in February last year and died in hospital the following dayCredit: Unknown

Her devastated mum spoke of the moment she was called by medics.

Sharon told The Sun: “I got a phone call saying that she died of a heart attack and a stroke.

“They told me it was because of nitrous oxide.

“I had no idea she was addicted.”

READ MORE ON NITROUS OXIDE

Ellen, a business student from Gerrards Cross, Bucks, became gravely ill in February last year and died in hospital the following day.

Mum-of-two Sharon, who works as a delivery driver, called on the Government to tighten sentences.

She said: “It is illegal now, but it’s too late for Ellen. More needs to be done.

Nitrous oxide can kill you. It should be a class A drug.

Most read in Health

“If you are caught selling it you should be locked up. Don’t mess with it. It’s not worth your life.”

A full inquest into Ellen’s death will be held this month.

Laughing gas left me in a wheelchair for life – don’t make my mistake