Boy, 8, found in Michigan wilderness after straying from family camping trip

A second-grade child who went missing on Saturday while camping with his family in Michigan has been found safe, hiding under a log.

Nante Niemi, eight, was found on Monday by a search team at about 1.30pm in good health, according to Michigan state police.

Niemi was two miles from his where his family was camping out Porcupine Mountain Wilderness state park in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Temperatures were in the 40s when he went missing.

“He had braved the elements by taking shelter under a log where he was ultimately found. He is in good health and reunited with his family,” state police said in a statement.

Niemi disappeared while he was gathering firewood. Soon after, state and local law enforcement agencies sent a 150-person search and rescue team to locate him “by land, air and water”.

The team focused on a roughly 40-square-mile area within the 94-sq-mile park on the shore of Lake Superior, a statement said.

The park was described as remote and hilly, with standing water and deep snow in some areas that made seasonal roads impassable.

Niemi’s mother, Jessica Buerger, told local ABC-affiliate station WDIO-DT, that this was a boys’ trip the family does every year, and this was Nante’s first time going.

Porcupine Mountains Wilderness state park shared their relief on Facebook after Niemi was found: “AMAZING news coming from the Porkies today! THANK YOU to all of those that have assisted in the search efforts. Prayers were answered today!”

<gu-island name="EmbedBlockComponent" deferuntil="visible" props="{"html":"","isTracking":true,"isMainMedia":false,"source":"Facebook","sourceDomain":""}” readability=”3″>

Allow Facebook content?

This article includes content provided by Facebook. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. To view this content, click ‘Allow and continue’.

Niemi’s school district in Wisconsin, Hurley school district, was also thrilled their student was found safe and sound, saying in a statement: “Words can not describe the emotions and joy the students and staff are experiencing at this moment!”

The Guardian