Florida man charged in deaths of ex-wife, stepson in dispute over lights left on in house, officials say

Volusia Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Brian Henderson speaks to reporters about the arrest of Michael D. Williams, 47, who is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of his ex-wife Marsha Ebanks-Williams, 48, and Robert Adams, 28,.

A Florida man killed his ex-wife and his stepson in a rage over the weekend for leaving lights on inside the house, law enforcement officials said.

Michael D. Williams, 47, was arrested Sunday evening and charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Marsha Ebanks-Williams, 48, and Robert Adams, 28, according to the Volusia Sheriff’s Office.

The incident took place inside a home in Deland, about 35 miles north of Orlando.

Sheriff’s office Chief Deputy Brian Henderson said a person, who identified himself as Michael Williams, dialed 911 just before 8 p.m. Sunday and said he had shot two people inside the home he shared with his ex-wife. 

Deputies found Williams sitting in a vehicle parked in the driveway where he surrendered and was taken into custody without incident, Henderson said.

When deputies entered the home they found the victims dead. Adams’ two children, ages 5 and 6, were found unharmed in the house.

Williams and his ex-wife had been involved in an ongoing dispute over domestic issues including electrical power to the house, where they were both still living following their divorce in June after 10 years of marriage, according to the sheriff’s office.

Blind California pup rescue:Firefighters rescue Cesar, a 13-year-old blind dog, from California construction site hole

1972 Hawaii killing case:Man accused of 1972 killing fighting extradition

Williams told investigators he shut off power to the house, locked the electrical panel and left on Sunday, sheriff’s officials said. But when he came back, he found the victims had cut the lock, restored power and placed a new lock on the panel, investigators said.

“Michael was upset that he felt that they were leaving the lights on in the house and he went and put a lock on the box outside of the house, which Marsha and her son cut,” Henderson said. “So he became upset and that started this argument, which ultimately resulted in these two people being shot and killed.”

Williams told investigators that he was attacked and punched in the face prior to the killings, but Henderson said he appeared unscathed. He was being held without bond as of Thursday.

Natalie Neysa Alund covers trending news for USA TODAY. Reach her at nalund@usatoday.com and follow her on Twitter @nataliealund.