Ukraine to begin first trial of Russian soldier charged with rape

Ukraine is to hold a preliminary hearing in its first trial of a Russian soldier charged with raping a Ukrainian woman during Russia’s invasion, the first of what could be dozens of such cases.

The suspect, Mikhail Romanov, 32, who will be tried in absentia on Thursday, is accused of breaking into a house in March in a village in the Brovarsky region outside of Kyiv, murdering a man and then repeatedly raping his wife while threatening her and her child with violence and weapons.

It was not immediately clear who will represent Romanov at the trial, which will be held behind closed doors. The Guardian was unable to reach Romanov for comments and his apparent partner declined to answer questions.

Ukraine says it is investigating thousands of potential war crimes committed during the Russian invasion, which will mark its fourth month on Friday.

Russian crimes against Ukrainian civilians documented by reporters and prosecutors working Ukraine have included sexual assault, murder and looting.

A prosecutor working on sexual violence cases told Reuters earlier that up to 50 crimes involving sexual assault and rape were currently being investigated.

After a visit to the Ukrainian capital earlier this month, Pramila Patten, a senior UN official, said the rape cases under investigation “only represent the tip of the iceberg”, describing sexual violence as “the most hidden crime” committed against Ukrainians in the war and urging survivors to come forward.

Not much information is known about Romanov, who has a large bear tattoo on his chest, according to pictures of the accused soldier on social media. During Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, he served in 239th regiment of the 90th Guards Tank and was involved in Russia’s failed offensive on Kyiv.

<gu-island name="EmbedBlockComponent" deferuntil="visible" props="{"html":"","caption":"Sign up to First Edition, our free daily newsletter – every weekday morning at 7am BST","isTracking":false,"isMainMedia":false,"source":"The Guardian","sourceDomain":"theguardian.com"}” readability=”1.5″>

Sign up to First Edition, our free daily newsletter – every weekday morning at 7am BST

When Ukraine first announced it was launching an investigation into Romanov, the country’s chief prosecutor Iryna Venediktova said: “Now we don’t know where he is – maybe he is fighting still, maybe he is on rotation in the Russian federation, maybe he is dead. We don’t know but we want to prosecute him in absentia.”

Last month, a court in Kyiv sentenced Vadim Shishimarin, a 21-year-old Russian soldier who was captured by Ukraine, to life in prison for the killing of a Ukrainian civilian.

Commenting on the Shishimarin’s trial, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said that Russia had “no possibilities to defend his interests there”, because of a lack of diplomatic representation in Ukraine.

The Guardian

Leave a Reply