Physical Inactivity And COVID-19 Severity: Yet Another Compelling Reason To Get Moving
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently published updated information on people who are more likely to become very sick from COVID-19 because they have one or more medical conditions. Included on that list of health conditions–alongside things like cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), type 1 and type 2 diabetes and heart disease–is physical inactivity.
The CDC states that people who exercise little or not at all are more likely than those who do.
Physical inactivity can often lead to weight gain and an increase in fat mass. This can cause several other conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, and being overweight. It is clear that physical activity has a significant impact on overall health and well being.
It is vital to:
- Reducing chronic conditions risk: This includes type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and certain types of cancer.
- Improving mental and cognitive function. Physical activity can help reduce depression and the chance of developing dementia.
- Quality of sleep: Lack of sleep has been associated with many chronic diseases and conditions that are listed above.
- Immune function Although this area is still under investigation, evidence suggests that physical activity could also increase immune function.
The CDC reviewed research on COVID-19 severity and found evidence that inactive people are at higher risk for several COVID-19 outcomes, including death, hospitalization, ventilation, and ventilation. We can now add “reducing severe COVID-19 risk” to the seemingly endless number of reasons to lead an active lifestyle.
We are here for you. Apex has a variety of resources that will help you become more active.
- Apex Performance blog – This ongoing blog series will cover everything you need to get moving. Apex experts offer an evidence-based way to live a healthy lifestyle. Recent Browse through the categories to find blogs that are most relevant to your needs.
- The Exercise Library is a great resource for anyone looking to improve their fitness or add variety to their routine. You can browse through exercises that target specific parts of the body or total-body movements. Each exercise has a detailed description,
Two years ago showed us that our health is far more important and fragile than we thought. Being physically active is an essential element of an overall healthy lifestyle, which is why Apex’s mission is to “Get People Moving.” Physical activity can help reduce your risk of getting certain diseases and conditions–including COVID-19. If you do develop them, staying active can help to manage the symptoms.
This post was written by Darryl Johnson, Co-Owner of Apex performance. At https://theapexperf.com/ we are a community of highly trained experts looking to provide performance enhancement and a permanent lifestyle change for our clients in a fun and interactive environment. Members can take advantage of one-on-one training, small group classes and specialized courses for a wide variety of athletics, sports training and body goals!