Outside of Game of Thrones‘ predictable domination, the Emmys nominee list this year is full of some real head-turners.
From notable snubs to unexpected additions, let’s take a look at some of the biggest surprises from this year’s nominees.
1. Voters love Schitt’s Creek and Fleabag – The previously-snubbed cult comedy Schitt’s Creek unexpectedly snuck into the Outstanding Comedy Series category, also scoring nominations for its lead actors, Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara. Similarly, Fleabag after being previously snubbed scored not just a nomination in the top category but also 10 more, including for its star, Phoebe Waller-Bridge.
2. The Kominsky Method and GLOW miss – Netflix’s The Kominsky Method, meanwhile, didn’t get a nod in the top comedy category as expected, nor did GLOW, despite being nominated last year.
3. The Big Bang Theory and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt don’t get a final season boost – The Big Bang Theory with its last season didn’t get a nomination in the top comedy category nor, as was more likely, one for Jim Parsons, while Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt‘s last episodes earned it no love, either.
4. Jon Snow edges out Robb Stark – Game of Thrones alum Richard Madden seemed to have a strong shot at a lead actor in a drama nominee for Bodyguard, but while that series was nominated, he was left out. Instead, it was Thrones‘ Kit Harington who was nominated after being snubbed last time, while Thrones co-stars Alfie Allen and Sophie Turner also got their first nods.
5. Jim Carrey, Julia Roberts, George Clooney, and Emma Stone are snubbed – These four traditionally movie-focused stars who headed to TV with Kidding, Homecoming, Catch 22, and Maniac respectively were all snubbed. Other actors who missed out on nominations included Allison Janney, Pamela Adlon,Tracee Ellis Ross, and Kieran Culkin.
6. Netflix nails it – Netflix’s baking competition show Nailed It!, an online favorite, managed to make its way into the Outstanding Competition Program category. Better luck next time, The Masked Singer. Brendan Morrow